Wednesday, May 27, 2009
For cupcakes use vanilla cupcake recipe changing out the vanilla for lemon oil.
1/2 cup butter, softened
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp lemon extract
juice of half lemon
3/4 - 1 tsp lemon oil (a must if you want a really good lemon flavor)
6-7 cups powdered sugar
Mix above ingredients and add small amounts of milk to make desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the oil and sugar until light, about 5 minutes
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer running on low, add eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla
- In three parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full using all the batter.
- Bake for about 16 minutes, turning the pan halfway through the baking time.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
- Frost with your choice of frosting.
1/4 cup soften butter
1 - 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 - 10 oz package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed. Use 1/4 cup. OR 1/4 cup strawberry pastry filling (bought at your local bakery or cooking/candy supply store)
1/2 tsp strawberry extract
7 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy
- Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the strawberry extract. (the leftover puree can be used for ice cream or smoothies, etc.)
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Friday, May 15, 2009
(Chia Seed) Raw Tapioca Pudding
1 cup cashews
3 cups water
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
pinch celtic sea salt
¼ cup chia seeds
Place the cashews and water in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth
Blend in the agave, vanilla, almond extract and salt
Place the chia seeds in a large mason jar (½ gallon size), pour the cashew mixture into the jar and shake well (very well!)
Place in the refrigerator overnight
Serves 2-4 people
Update(from Elana): Per questions below, I have made this with a mixture of cashew and coconut milk and it is delicious. I have also used chia seeds to make my morning protein shakes more rich, creamy and nutritious. This chia pudding keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days. Enjoy!
Lettuce: romaine and spinach
Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing
¼ cup grapeseed oil vegenaisse
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 clove garlic, pressed
⅛ teaspoon minced scallionpinch
celtic sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a small mason jar
Shake well to serve over salad
Or to use as a dip refrigerate to chill and thicken