I've been a bit addicted to greek yogurt lately and decided to figure out how to make it myself since it's so expensive. We've had really good results with this easy recipe so I thought I would share.
This recipe makes a big batch, you are more than welcome to cut it in half, I just do it this way so I'm not constantly making yogurt.
1 gallon milk (I use 2%)
1/2 cup yogurt - whatever brand/flavor you want. I've used Chobani Plain in the past and liked the results but is up to you.
1. Heat entire gallon of milk in large pot to almost boiling (but not boiling)--about 180 degrees.
2. Let milk cool to about 110 degrees - until warm to the touch. You can either let it sit in the hot pot for a long while to cool down or pour into a large bowl to cool. I like to stir mine occasionally to avoid getting the skin on top.
3. Heat oven to 170 degrees.
4. When milk has cooled down, take out about 1/2 cup of milk into another bowl. Whisk in your 1/2 cup of yogurt starter and then whisk the whole mixture into the large bowl of milk.
5. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
6. Turn off heated oven and place yogurt mixture in warm oven. Leave overnight or at least 8 hours.
7. In the morning remove yogurt mixture from oven. Place a large strainer lined with coffee filters over a bowl. Spoon yogurt mixture into the strainer and let sit on the counter for 1-2 hours.
8. When strained. Carefully dump yogurt into another large bowl. Remove coffee filters and discard whey. Whisk yogurt until smooth and creamy. Place in jars and refrigerate.
9. My kids like to make their own flavored yogurt by mixing in a spoonful of their favorite jam.
10. Save 1/2 cup for your next yogurt starter.