Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Plain Frozen Yogurt

Thanks to all of you who could make it last night. And thanks to Elisa for being such a great hostess. We had a great time trying out all kinds of yummy ice cream and I can't wait to see all of your posts. :)

I chose to do plain frozen yogurt last night because after trying it for the first time last fall in California it has become my newest favorite flavor. Apparently, I have been really out of the loop because I had NO idea there were so many yogurt places around here that serve it.

The recipe I found is really easy. I opted to take the even easier route and go with Greek yogurt rather than strain regular whole milk yogurt. Greek yogurt is very rich and creamy and not quite as tart as regular so I found that I didn't need as much sugar as the recipe called for. The result was exactly what I wanted. You can serve this with any kind of fresh fruit, granola, candy, etc. but for me, I'm a purist, I love it just the way it's name says it should be...plain.

RECIPE

2 16 oz cartons of Greek yogurt (found easily at Good Earth)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar (taste to make sure you like it)

Stir in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Pour in ice cream maker and churn for about 1/2 hour. Freeze.

*You can buy my favorite ice cream make here and it comes with an extra bowl (definitely worth it).

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm going to try this one for sure. I'll have to see where I can find the Greek style yogurt around here.