Friday, June 13, 2008

Panna Cotta

I just tried this great recipe I got from a friend. I love this stuff. Certainly not low fat, but yummy.

1/3 cup milk (skim or reg)
1 envelope (.25 oz) unflavored gelatin (approx 2 teas)
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Pour milk into a small bowl and stir in the gelatin powder. Set aside for a least 5 min. While waiting for gelatin to soften, in a saucepan, stir together the heavy cream and sugar, and set over medium heat. Heat without boiling, to to completely dissolve sugar. Pour the gelatin and milk into the cream, stirring until completely dissolved. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and pour into six individual ramekin dishes.

Cool the ramekins uncovered at room temp. When cool, cover w plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, before serving. To serve, unmold from dishes upside down on a plate and top w fruit. (I do raspberries and drizzle homemade hot fudge on it.)

Hints:
1. If gelatin is separating in individual dishes in layers, cool entire mixture by stirring until closer to room temp, then poor into cups.
2. To unmold from dishes, dip dish in hot water for a few sec. run knife around edges.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Eliza, I tried this for Sunday dinner. I thought I'd be brilliant and add a cool layer of strawberries and thick chocolate fudge; unfortunately, I didn't account for the water content of the strawberries and they turned the fudge into a soupy mess. So, the bottome was ugly, the panna cotta was beautiful and my family actually liked it! I'm so going to have to do this again and try to get it right. Thanks