I love collecting cute/pretty cookbooks, even if only for their covers! I found this good recipe in here.
4 Tbsp. butter
3 lg. Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (Sometimes I leave the peels on for the nutritional value and time constraints)
1/2 c. raisins
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
8 to 10 1-inch-thick slices of French bread, trimmed of crusts
4 lg. eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1. The evening before serving, melt butter in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add apples and saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to skillet. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until apples are tender, 10 minutes.
3. Spread apple mixture evenly over the bottome of a 13x9 baking dish. Layer bread slices over apples until completely covered.
4. In a med. mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Beat in milk and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over the bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, preheat over to 375 degrees. Remove casserole from refrigerator, uncover, and bring to room temperature. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until bread is golden and firm. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.