Sunday, September 28, 2008

Starla's Pumpkin Bars

For those of you who know the woman whom I named these bars after, you'll understand just how memorable they are. Two years ago when I had my third baby Starla brought these over as a dessert and since I don't eat chocolate for my babies' first few months of life these were the perfect treat. So perfect, in fact, that I have thought about them for two years and finally got the recipe from her a couple of weeks ago. They were just as good as I remembered.

Bars:

4 eggs
1 cup oil (or Starla suggested 1 cup applesauce and they turned out perfectly)
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 small can of pumpkin (I think it's about 14 oz)

Combine ingredients and bake on a greased jelly roll pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

When cooled spread on cream cheese frosting

Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
6 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
Milk -- to make it the right consistency to spread

Beat with electric beaters and spread on bars.

**Be careful, this makes a big pan and they're addicting so you may want to have neighbors around to help you out. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yum- I am always looking for new pumpkin recipes!